Orthodontics for Children
As a parent, you want the best for your child. That includes healthy teeth and a pleasing smile.
It's Dr. Rhoads' goal to treat your children as if they were her own, by providing them with the best possible orthodontic care.
All Kids Should Get an Orthodontic Check-Up By Age 7
There’s no minimum age for your child to begin orthodontic treatment, but the American Association of Orthodontists recommends a child receive their first orthodontic evaluation by around age seven.
By this time, your child should have a mix of baby teeth and permanent teeth. This makes it easier for Dr. Rhoads to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems before they have the chance to become worse.
About Early Treatment
Early, or interceptive, treatment with Rhoads Orthodontic Specialist will allow us to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child's jaw
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Help avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct bad habits like thumb sucking
- Help improve minor speech problems
As a parent, it's not always easy to determine if your child may need orthodontic treatment just by looking at them. Some things to look out for that may indicate your child needs to see an orthodontist are:
- Baby teeth that are lost too early or later than expected
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or don’t come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that don’t fit the rest of your child’s face
- Crowded front teeth from about the of age seven or eight
Schedule Your Free Consult
Your first consultation is free, so get in touch with us to schedule an appointment for your child’s first orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now means a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.